monsoon cloudsMonsoon season is winding down, and Apache Junction didn’t come through unscathed.

Monsoon season begins around June, and ends in mid-September. Until last Firday, we had some scattered showers and downpours, but nothing too serious.

I was relaxing on the patio last Friday afternoon when the storm kicked up. The skies turned ominous shades of gray. There was thunder in the distance, and lightning behind the peak of the Superstition Mountains. And then, BAM!  The wind kicked through, and the rain was coming down in literal sheets, horizontally.

flooded back yardIn a matter of minutes, we had puddles on the floor in front of the front and rear doors. The back yard was entirely under water – six inches deep in places.

Our newly paved Main Drive became a river, with water rushing at white-water speed towards Broadway.

The monsoon lasted all of 45 minutes – and then turned into a steady drizzle. Our neighbor saw his Palo Verde tree decapitated, as the winds hit the top from all directions and twisted it up and off. The initial burst of wind blew our RV gates wide open, twisting and bending the heavy gauge hardened steel hardware. A woman that lives less than a mile away had the roof of her trailer blown right off, destroying everything. And there was damage in between those extremes. Fallen Palo Verdes line the Apache Trail, ripped up by their roots. Telephone poles crushed cars, So in the grans scheme of things, Liz and I fared fairly well with only some minor inconveniences.

Mian Driveis a riverI was very proud of my handiwork, however. We discovered a leak in the roof of the house last winter during some heavy rains. I found the likely culprit, some gaps around the air conditioner ducts (in Arizona, the AC units are on the roofs). I judicious application of roof cement did the trick, and the only water that made it into the house was underneath the doors, or was tracked in by the dogs.

The studio, which leaked even when it looked like it would rain was my real concern. It fared better than the house, with not one drop of moisture getting inside, not even under the door.

This week I began my second week of work – I have to wake up at 3AM to give myself time to drink my coffee and wake up before going to work. The job is only 5 1/2 hours a day – although Monday I was asked to work eight hours. I am being scheduled more hours than some of the others that have been there a year or more, so I guess they like me. I am still playing catch-up with my sleep cycle, which is why I have neglected posting here.

Not that there is really a whole lot to post – work and sleep.  I have not been in the studio in a week – although I did begin some landscaping work which I will post when it looks respectable.  Liz bought a prickly pear style cactus, and a succulent to add around the studio.  I am laying down a barrier over the dirt to prevent the desert weeds from taking hold – they are tenacious buggers.

On Monday, after work, Mike and Tami came over for an 0n-the-cheap Labor Day barbeque. By the end of the evening, Mike and I had solved all of the problems in the world.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Captcha * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.